Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Repair Story #2

In a previous post I told a long story about my experiences with multiple repairmen on several projects. The air conditioner unit in our bedroom was still not functioning properly. While I can handle sleeping in mild warmth versus chilling temperatures, my dearest husband cannot. So two times I went to ask our neighborhood's main office for help in the repair of our air conditioner. By the second visit, it was mildy embarassing as he knew which house I lived in and my problem before I spoke a word. He said, after 5:30pm tonight. I was relieved, I had notice of the work to be done and an approxiamate date and time. I could also prepare my barking beasts for our visitor. I put them in the farthest, smallest room in the house, the servants quarters. (Yes, we have the room but no in-house servant.) We also have a radio set up to play wonderful arabic music, although I think they prefer NPR from DC. So, I stand guard at the window to watch for the repairman in hopes of answering the door before he rings the doorbell.  When I saw him ride up on his little bicycles, it was one of those slow motion moments like on the movies. I ran to the front door and just as I touched the doorknob the doorbell rang. I don't know how he beat me as he was carrying a tool box and what looked like a propane tank. The dog barking frenzies were on full blast as I led him to the broken unit. I decided to stay and watch him work as I wanted to make sure there was actual work being completed. I did not want to have to go through all this hassle again. Within just a moment I hear him chuckling to himself and he calls me over. "Mam, it not work because you set on fan, not cool". I didn't find this so funny. He thought I just couldn't operate the settings and this poor woman had called him for nothing!!! I managed to maintain my dignity and blame it on my husband, whom I said put the ac on fan because when it is set on cool it makes noises as though it were about to explode. He said, "ah, to the roof". (not so poor and helpless now, huh?)
I didn't realize so many workings of our home took place on the rooftop...but up he went. I decided not to follow as it is just too hot up there and who knows what he is going to do with that metal tank. I can hear him clanging and banging and in about 10 mintues he returns and says...."fixed".  I said "thank you, but I will wait until tonight to know for sure". Turns out it is fixed and now I am so relieved not to have to repair anything for a while!! Oh yes, and my husband sleeps soundly in the cool air.

No comments:

Post a Comment