Monday, May 14, 2012

American

It is very common for people here to have live-in help.  We just had a dinner date with a family nearby who do have a live in housekeeper. It was like we were at a restaurant. The family did cook the meal, but only because they enjoy cooking. The housekeeper came around and collected all the dinner plates and cleaned the kitchen while we continued to socialize. Our friends went on and on with how great it was not to worry about little details like cleaning their car or walking the dog, changing out the towels or sheets. This is all taken care of and they don’t even have to tell her when to do everything. It is just done for them.

So why don’t we have one? I guess I feel a little uncomfortable with someone else actually living in our home I don’t know. It just seems weird to me. Odds are I would also have trouble communicating with them.

All of the hired help here are from another country like, Sri Lanka, India, Philippines and we would have to “sponsor” someone to work for us and live with us in order for them to enter and stay in this country.    The live in housekeepers and Nannies are all women. There is a huge population of men here from neighboring countries as well. They are the true workers of the country, doing landscaping, construction, truck driving, cashiers, you name it, and they are working here doing the job (even when it is 120 degrees outside). Many of these “workers” are here without their families. They leave their families behind to come here and earn money to send home for whatever reason. I hear often of them sending money for health care and to also build a new home for their families. You can see the look in some of these workers eyes when they see our daughter and then say, here is a picture of my daughter, she is far away.

This is all a huge explanation for an interaction I had with a housekeeper we met last week that I can’t get out of my mind. She asked if she could come by later that evening to ask my husband questions about her son’s visa.  He had helped her a few weeks ago by looking up information on the internet. I felt so bad because with the language barrier, I couldn’t totally understand her story. All I know is that she is trying to get her son here and can’t for some reason.  She was sure my husband could help and understand. I assured her she was welcome to stop by and speak with him anytime. Then she said the line that has inspired me to write this entire blog entry. She said, “I am weak, you and your husband, you are American, you are strong, you can help me”. 

 I am pretty sure not every nationality thinks we Americans are so strong; they probably have some pretty crazy thoughts about us. But, it was so humbling for me to hear from someone who hardly knows anything about me, that I am so strong, just because I am American. Honestly, I never went around during my daily life in the states thinking that “thank goodness I am American and so strong”.  We get so busy in our daily lives in the states that we are more likely to say things like, that meeting went great, or I got an A on this test, or I nailed that project for work, that we have forgotten the big picture. All this housekeeper knows about me is that I am American and that was enough for her to ask for help.  I think until she said that I had forgotten some of the freedoms and rights I get just being American.  Literally, just being an American, even an American woman, my life has so many opportunities. I am thankful someone reminded me of that and most importantly, I am thankful for anyone who fights or supports American dreams, ideals, and lives. Not only do I appreciate it, but other people throughout the world do too.  

3 comments:

  1. Great post Sam. You are so right about what we Americans have and take for granted until you travel and see what the "birth lottery" has given us.

    BTW...my parents worked in Saudi & So. Africa and had house keepers. They felt kind of strange about it also but they were actually encouraged by the company dad worked for. It was a way to help share the wealth with the local economy by providing employment. They came to really enjoy their housekeepers company. Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It is amazing to see this. I'm here and am surrounded by what I believe to be poverty, looking into the eyes of low or no income families who come each month for a bag of grocery items to get by on. However, with that said, I imagine even our impoverished are not as poor as the people in the countries you have named. India for sure. We forget what is necessary to live on and feel poor if we don't have cell phones and computers to the point where we forgo food for the family to pay the Verizon bill. Maybe every American needs six months in another country as an eye opener. We truly are blessed to be Americans. Thank you for reminding me of this Samantha.

    ReplyDelete